- Posted on: Nov 21 2013
Black Friday is almost here, and that means you’ll probably be spending hours on your feet getting the best holiday deals. That can put your neck, shoulders and back at risk. Here’s how to ward off pain and injury—and still get all the gifts you need:
• Avoid shopping when stores are crowded. That will help reduce the amount of time you stand on line to purchase gifts.
• Make a list of what you need to buy ahead of time. Then, line up friends or loved ones to help you shop.
• Wear comfortable shoes like walking or running shoes. Wearing heels on hard surfaces can lead to foot and ankle injuries.
• Trade in your purse for a small backpack. The strongest muscles in your body—your back and ab muscles—will support the weight of the backpack and reduce the chance of shoulder and neck injuries. Be sure not to overfill it, since a heavy pack can lead to back pain.
• Avoid carrying heavy shopping bags for long periods of time.
• Distribute the weight of your shopping bags evenly on both sides of your body. Holding a heavy bag on one side of your body can strain your back.
• If you’re on your own, ask for help—or use a shopping cart—to carry bags to your car.
• Make several trips to the car to drop off bags. This will help reduce stress on your back muscles.
• Test an object’s weight before lifting it. Try pushing it with your foot. If it seems too heavy, get help.
• If you must lift a heavy item, keep it close to your body or ask for help.
If you want to learn more about how physical therapy and acupuncture can help ease discomfort associated with holiday shopping, contact us here.
Tagged with: back injuries, back pain, foot pain, holiday shopping, protecting your back
Posted in: All Posts, Fitness, Health & Wellness