Motor Vehicle Accidents
Motor vehicle accidents can be a very stressful time. Here at Advanced PMR we understand the importance of providing you care in a timely fashion. We will provide you with a full evaluation and ensure that your care is expedited.
Many of the symptoms from an injury can go undetected for days, weeks or even months following the accident. Once any symptoms do develop they can include:
- Back Pain
- Muscle Spasms
- Neck Pain
Most people involved in an automobile accident suffer a whiplash injury. A whiplash is used to describe a soft tissue neck injury. Your head “whips” forward and then backwards. When this occurs, tendons, ligaments and muscles that protect and cushion the spine can become damaged – as well as injuring discs and the spine itself. When tissues are stretched or torn, the spine becomes significantly less stable. If you have suffered a whiplash injury, it is critical to seek whiplash treatment.
Factors that contribute to the severity of a whiplash include:
- The way you are positioned in the car.
- Being properly restrained (shoulder and seat belt).
Automobile injuries are a common source of chronic pain. Therefore, seeking correct care, as soon as possible, is crucial in the recovery process.
Physical therapists are experts at evaluating and treating injuries from car accidents, because pain is usually associated with the spine. Acupuncturists are experts and helping increase blood flow in addition to relaxing muscle. Soft tissue injuries are detected and corrected through a customized rehabilitation program.
The following diagnostic tools are recommended for patients who have been involved in a motor vehicle accident:
- Structural Evaluation: This may inclusw X-rays, Orthopedic and Neurological Testing, Motion and Static Palpation Techniques, Spinal Joint Movement Evaluation, Gait Analysis and Postural Analysis.
- Muscular Evaluation: This may include Joint Range-of Motion Testing, Arm and Hand Strength and Reflex Evaluation.
- A (CT or CAT scan) or a (MRI) may be necessary if a herniated disc or a significant muscle or ligament injury is likely.
Once necessary tests and evaluations are analyzed, a customized treatment program can be created. Treatment options offered include:
- HEP (Home Exercise Programs)
- Physical Therapy: Passive and Active Physical Therapy
- Therapeutic Massage
- Nutritional Counseling: Stay hydrated and provide nutritional fuel for the body.
If you are experiencing pain after car accident, please call Advanced Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. We are the experts in assisting patients who have been involved in auto accidents in NJ.